FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

Stonehaven Carties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> Cartie Challenge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Stonehaven Carties Reply with quote

It looks as though we may soon be able to expand our horizons somewhat, with another cartie competition planned in Stonehaven (see this article in the Mearns Leader - copied below).

It's flattering that they have the impression that our carties were "hi-tech" - I thought they werre all nicely low tech but high concept myself. (Perhaps if they had looked "under the bonnet" of The Red Barron and seen that the chassis was a sack barrow they might have come to a different conclusion). Personally, I like the way our rules didn't dictate anything about the designs other than a few basic safety contraints - everyone came up with their fantastic designs because that's what they wanted to do, and ultimately seeing the results of all that effort hurtle down the brae was a big part of the fun for all the spectators and competitors alike.

Another event in the local area can only be a good thing if it expands the competitions we can enter and the number of cartie teams that want to take part. If we can work out a set of rules that allow our carties to compete in their event and vice versa it should benefit us both.

A few of us will be going along to their meeting next Tuesday to offer whatever support and advice we can, as it's in our best interests to help them have a successful event. I'll keep you posted on developments.

Quote:

CARTIE GRAND PRIX PLANNED

A CARTIE grand prix could become an annual event in Stonehaven if enthusiasts come forward to set the wheels in motion.

The proposal was the outcome of a festive, ethanol-fuelled brainstorming meeting where childhood escapades on home made racing carts became a hot topic for discussion.

With obvious enthusiasm demonstrated by several pramwheel-and-wooden-plank veterans, former mechanic Dave Clayton agreed to act as technical adviser and interim race promoter.

He told the Leader: "We have to work out what we all want to do. We need to choose a route and that will dictate how you build your cart.
"At the moment I am favouring one from Dunnottar Church to Low Wood Road. Other options put forward are from the St Leonard's Hotel to the Square or from the Heugh Hotel to the Square."

Mr Clayton said a downhill track from the Den O' Logie down past the golf course may also be considered.

"It depends on how many people want to enter and if we can have road closures," he added.

And he said the discovery that neighbouring Catterline already hosts an annual cartie challenge has added some extra fuel to the fire.

"They have a set of rules and specifications all drawn up. Do we want a completely different event from Catterline or keep the same rules so carties could be raced twice?

"My original thought was a proper old soapbox cartie. But the Catterline carties are quite sophisticated - one was built to look like a Fokker triplane.
"So maybe we need an F1 event and another for the traditionalists with just some pram wheels and a plank."

Mr Clayton said the group had hoped redundant wheelie bins could prove a boon for the racers, but road tests had shown the castors were unsuitable for anything other than straight tracks. And with the time-honoured source of cartie wheels becoming rarer with each passing year, Mr Clayton issued an appeal for any unwanted baby carriages.

Anyone interested in the venture is asked to trundle along to a public meeting taking place in the Heugh Hotel on Tuesday January 17 at 7.30pm.

stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, Paul and I went along to the Stonehaven Cartie meeting last Tuesday to see what they had in mind. There were a dozen or so people there - a selection of middle aged children just like us Wink They were interested in learning from our experiences, and we were happy to oblige. They seemed quite impressed by our rules and I think they'll use them as a basis for their competition, although I suspect they'll perhaps relax some of the rules a bit so they can run a different sort of event.

We agreed to meet again on Saturday morning to test out a couple of routes in Stonehaven. I borrowed Maniac, the Bullet and Elijah (thanks everyone - and John too for the loan of the trailer) and David Clayton brought along another more "old skool" cartie that he'd lashed together during the week, and we spent a couple of hours whizzing around the steeper parts of the town. The routes we tried were in Mineralwell Park and also the back of Dunnotar Woods. I thought Dunnotar would be the best, but it was actually kind of dull. It's reasonably straight and not very steep, and all the carties just cruised along it at a fairly steady pace. It lacked the white knuckle thrill of Catterline, and I think it'd take quite a bit of effort to make it exciting. Mineralwell Park was an extremely short run, bit it definately had enough of the fear factor to make it fun, and since its a grass track there is a possibility of setting the course out to be quite tricky.

I think the feeling in the end was that Mineralwell Park is the best bet for their first competition, as it's better for spectators and won't need any road closures. Given that the speeds were a little lower and that the surface is a bit more forgiving, I think they'll probably not be so picky about brakes and steering as we are.

I think they want to focus their attention on getting more youngsters involved in building and racing the carts, which is another reason why they might decide to relax the construction rules a bit and allow machines that are perhaps rather less well made than what we'd be comfortable with. There was also talk of different classes (e.g. Novelty, Traditional and Unlimited), so I guess we'll still be able to get a shot and show 'em how it's done...

For the record - Elijah was the fastest on all the tracks, but Maniac was far more manoeuvrable and I think it'd be the better machine on a twisty course. We didn't try the Bullet at the park as I didn't fancy dragging it across the grass, but it'd be really good if you wanted to go ram raiding afterwards.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provisional date for the Stonehaven Carties is now 10th Sept.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entries for the Stonehaven Cartie Race are now available. Details in the Mearns Leader. eMail Dennis Collie (dennis@collie123.freeserve.co.uk) for entry forms and a set of rules that look remarkably similar to those developed over the past 18 months for the Catterline Cartie Challenge (and including text lifted directly from this very forum, no less).
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Stonehaven Cartie committee will be meeting at The Glebe (top end of) Mineralwell park @ 9-30 on Sat morning (5th Aug) to finalise the course.

They've extended an invitation to any Catterline Cartiers to join them, hand in any last minute entries and plan race strategies, etc.

Remember - scrutineering is on Sunday 27th August and the competition is on sunday 10th September.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> Cartie Challenge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: