FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

Braking and steering systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> Cartie Challenge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyPop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Braking and steering systems Reply with quote

Hello Stephen - I've got a couple of queries on the design citeria. On teh steering system Rules 4.3 I am not sure what you mean by play. The traditional steering method of a bit of string coupled with firmly applied feet would presumably comply as long as the wheels did not unduly have a mind of their own when pressure was applied?
On the brakes I had intended independent braking systems for left and right. Is this a contravention of 4.4? The brakes would apply equally to both sides in theory at least, they would just be applied through a dual system.
Cheers
Andy Popplestone
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

What you've got in mind sounds OK to me.

Play in the steering system refers to where you have some kind of mechanical link between the steering input and the wheels, for instance, a steering wheel or handle bars. You shouldn't be able to move the steering input without moving the wheels, or at least not much anyway. In traditional cartie steering where your feet are braced against a single pivot axle, there is no slack because any movement of your feet is immediately transfered to the wheels - the steering input and and the wheels are one and the same.

Independant brakes on either side are fine, provided they can be applied equally to both sides at the same time. If you've set them up right so you can apply the brakes without your cartie veering off to one side you'll be OK.

I'll happily arrange any number of pre-scrutineering inspections to make sure there is nothing about your machine that is going to concern the scrutineers, so if anyone wants to check something out before hand just give me a shout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> Cartie Challenge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: