FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

Broadband hints, tips and questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pieter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the free avast! Home Edition (free for non-commercial use) and am very happy with it. It has various scan engines included (instant messaging, p2p shield, etc) which can be controlled individually, does NOT add a footer to e-mails (like AVG does) and updates regularly in the background.
tommo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Unbelievable ! Reply with quote

installed my wireless n network (linksys wag300n for anyone interested).
last night and connected up to broadband.... getting wireless speeds on the network of between 240 and 300 mps yes you read that correctly.... fantastic. Thats from about 30 feet away upstairs and through a couple of walls.

Broadband speeds are ramping up very well as it test us out so we are hammering it just now to keep our settings high. Plugged straight in with cat 5 to my wokr laptop and all is going swimmingly well in parallel as well all looking very good so far...... this is the absolute dogs.... working from home today cos it's so good.........

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Just poped in to say hello and found this thread interesting.

For those who have not got an ISP yet for broadband it is worth doing a search to see what suits your needs best.

I used Uswitch but there are others.
A tip is to select "all ISP's" before you go to the results page and not just the ones they can switch you to.

I have not got connected to Broadband and am still waiting for companies to get back to me.
Two have, but the rest are dragging their feet. Confused
I was looking for an unlimited ISP, but I just wonder if the cheaper ones are really unlimited?

BoB
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieter wrote:
I use the free avast! Home Edition (free for non-commercial use) and am very happy with it. It has various scan engines included (instant messaging, p2p shield, etc) which can be controlled individually, does NOT add a footer to e-mails (like AVG does) and updates regularly in the background.

Hi all just poped in to say Hello.

So

Glad someone got Avast to work!
I tried it twice and it just caused problems with me and the Father-in-law.
Biggest problem was with the emails when sending, it kept telling us it had sent them but it hadn't.

Went back to AVG in the end.

Forgot to log in last time Laughing
Changes in forums!!!!!

BoB
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BoB,

Glad you found it useful.

It's getting harder to find a truly unlimited ISP. Many have a tariff that has no download limit, but they usually employ something called "traffic shaping" to make sure everyone gets a fair go (usually called a "Fair Usage Policy" intheir T&Cs). What this in effect means is that the speed is throttled during peak hours and for certain types of traffic. For instance, Eclipse have a range of unlimited connections, and the difference between each of them is the amount of priority you get in their traffic shaping - i.e. the cheaper connections will be slower.

However, in practice you might not notice. The traffic that is affected tends to be for peer-to-peer downloads, bit torrents, streaming media, etc. Normal web browsing and email isn't usually affected.

Most people don't really need an unlimited tarriff. Normal email and browsing only generates maybe a couple of Gb/month. I'm on the web all the time - I run this website and a couple of others too - but even so I rarely get anywhere near my 2Gb monthly limit. Even when I do go over in a month I just pay for the extra at 1.70something/Gb and it's still very cost effective. If you want to know how much you'll use, BT have a very handy usage estimator here.

Anything that is above what you normally use is effectively unlimited anyway, and unless you're actually downloading the entire output of all the TV channels in the US every month you might be surprised by how little you can get away with. My 2Gb download cap isn't a problem for me, and I much prefer that than having my connection speed throttled.

Here's the bottom line. Everyone wants an ISP that is fast, cheap and unlimited, but the best you will get is two out of three. I went for fast and cheap.
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a few good points there.
As long as it is faster than Dial-up I can get by.
I don't mind waiting a few seconds for things to happen.
Speed is not a real problem as long as it is a bit quicker.

The one that needs the speed is my son who Chats and Downloads music from a paid source at 5am in the morning, he moans that it takes ages.
I know that he will start Downloading films next if Broadband arrives Shocked

All my downloads is software mostly.
I am with Virgin just now for dial-up and they have been great, usual cut offs, but I can just about cope except when a software download is two and a half hrs long.
The Antivirus (paid for version) was hopeless trying to download it on Dial-up. I had to get them to send a disk.

I have a woman nipping my ear about the cost of Dial-up as it is and telling her about Broadband just gets that look!!!!!!

I have a few computers to network if I put in Broadband as well and she sees it as more expence Laughing
So it is, but when it is all done she will wonder how she managed without it.
The other thing is the phone line will be used for the phone as she says it is for phones not the Internet!!!!
I tell her that is what mobiles are for and phone lines are for the Internet Laughing
She doesn't speak to me for a while after that! Laughing

BoB
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee whiz!

Shocked I need 9.6Gb Rolling Eyes a month Shocked

How do I get by on Dial-up Confused

Think they need a new calculator or I need to get a life Laughing

BoB
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was on freeserve dialup it was costing me about 25/month just dialing up, with all other phone calls on top. Now it costs 14.99 for an ADSL connection that is comfortably 100 times quicker, and 5.99 on top for all phone calls (except mobile and overseas). Line rental is still paid to BT, but it's pretty simple maths. I use Eclipse, but there are plenty of similar deals around.

Think about that. A 2.5 hour download becomes less than 2 minutes. Shocked Cool And you can use the phone as usual while you're online. Cheaper, faster, and doesn't block the phone - surely that's enough to convince the rest of the family?

You might be right about needing unlimited or a fairly high cap if your son does a lot of downloading though, although he'll probably notice the traffic shaping as that's exactly the kind of service that gets throttled. Even so, the speed will be just mind blowing after dialup.

If you're connecting more than one 'puter, get a router instead of a modem. It's more up-front expense, but it means they can all connect to the net at the same time.

Oop - just spotted your second post. 10 Gb/month? How about Eclipse home broadband option 2 or pipex midi?
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both look good and better than any I found.
The wife wants to stay with BT for the phone - Don't ask, it is the mind of a woman!

I will have a serious look this month and see what comes of it.
The exchange says it is equiped for 2Mb but BTs scann says it may support up to 6Mb?
If it is only equiped for 2Mb, how can it support 6Mb?

Mate is with Talk Talk and he is never off it and when he calls I can't get rid of him as it costs him nothing. We don't use the phone that much so it would be a wast of time for us.

I need a good stand alone package!

BoB

Strange how some are not suppling from this exchange?
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly every exchange in the country was upgraded to "Up to 8Mb" ADSL Max back in April this year. If your exchange is still only wroking up to 2Mb then you're seriously rural.

What is your exchange? Go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/phoneno.php and put your phone number in and it'll tell you exactly what exchange you're on - that might help shed a bit of light on it.
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that far from your Cartie racing. They were very unwilling to put Broadband into the exchange! There was a big campain to get it.

You can delete this after you have seen it if you want.
I see the info has not been updated, but I think that has been there for months.

BoB
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - so your exchange supports both ADSL and ADSL Max, so you can get the full "up to 8Mb" service as well as the older 2Mb/1Mb/512Kb service. Any ISP that resells BT Wholesale's ADSLMax product (which is pretty much all of them) will be able to provide you with a broadband connection off that exchange. Any of this lot, for instance.

The 6Mb that the BT broadband checker reports is what they estimate your maximum connection speed will actually be if you are on ADSL Max. The connection speed is dependant on the physical length of the line between you house and the exchange, and the further away you are the lower your connection speed will be. If they are saying you'll get 6Mb then I guess you're reasonably close, as that's not a bad figure. Mind you - it's only theoretical. The rate at which web pages and emails gets to and from your PC will depend on all kinds of other vaguaries such as the number of other people connected, your ISPs traffic shaping policies, etc, so you probably won't get the full connection speed all the time.

Hope this makes sense and helps - let me know if there's anything else I can try to explain.
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have just about covered everything Stephen.

I just noticed it has the Max enabled now Cool
That must have been done in the last six months.
I did see they were pulling through new cables a while back up to the exchange but that might not be related. (Looked like fibre Optic cables).

I'm only a couple of streets away from the exchange.

Thanks Stephen.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delighted to help.

In addition to eclipse and pipex, you might want to have a look at newnet too, as they seem quite competitive and claim to have no traffic shaping (for now at least...). If you don't mind paying a bit more, zen or nildram are worth considering.
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Broadband is on order. 8Mb is the speed (so they say) but I don't think they will get that speed here as BT was round checking the phone lines as a neighbour could not get his line anywhere near the speed Laughing
I did say to him that they never run at the speed they say anyway.
When the man from BT came round looking at the lines outside, he did say there did appear to be a problem with them Shocked
Ah well, here's hoping I can get as fast as is possible.

Anyway I now need to get a Router and some more line filters.
Where do I get the filters at a reasonable price?

I was thinking of the BT Voyager 2100 as a wireless Router.
Is it going to be fast enought for my connection?

Sorry if the question is a bit basic, but I have not used one before or used a network. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Any advice? Confused

I did read that BT had a modem now that had a faster speed at the user end but that they were locked to BT but you can get them unlocked. Wink

BoB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: