FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

Broadband hints, tips and questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Broadband hints, tips and questions Reply with quote

Broadband for Catterline is fast approaching. The service is due to go live on the 20th of July.

Share your experiences of getting broadband here (e.g. which ISP, are they any good, teething troubles, any hints or tips), or ask any questions that you might have....
simonh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Broadband Live Date Reply with quote

Just checked and it looks like the date for broadband has now been put back to 30th July. Crying or Very sad
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: It's here!!! Reply with quote

Our exchange has finally been upgraded and we can now get broadband. Yippeeeeeee!!!

My order is in and being processed, and I hope to be up and running in 10-14 days. I'll let you all know how it goes, and I'd be interested to hear your own experiences too.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: It's delayed again! Reply with quote

I received this email from Ecslipse this morning;

Quote:

We have been in touch with BT and they seem to be having delays at your local exchange in providing ADSL services to new customers.

This means that there could be a temporary delay in BT completing your ADSL order. We hope the delay will clear shortly and please be assured that we are closely tracking progress of your order, and this issue, with BT. We will contact you again if your activation is delayed beyond normal lead times with an update.

Please accept my apologies on BT's behalf, but rest assured they are doing all they can to ensure the activation of ADSL at your property.

My guess is that it'll still be a couple of weeks before I'm up and running.
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Broadband Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the current exchange status is? i.e. has anyone been enabled for Broadband through Catterline exchange yet? The 'confirmed go-live date' from BT on our order was 9th Aug, but there's not a sausage when I tried just now.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My activation date is supposed to be today too, but the kit hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't been able to try it out yet.
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Broadband - its Friday but don't hold your breath... Reply with quote

The following message is from BT in response to my query:

It seems that there has been a delay to the activation of your line due to work needed to make your line able to take Broadband.

This was due to be completed before the 9th but unfortunately this has slipped and we have now been advised that the line is due to be activated on Friday.

Please accept our apologies as we were unaware of this and only when I spoke to the Network provider was this discovered.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: hardware arrives Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Pete. Noelle has just handed me the package that arrived today - a nice new ADSL router and two line filters (to go with the other line filter that arrived on tuesday), so guess what I'll be doing when the kids are in bed tomorrow night...

It looks as though there is no desperate much to get it all wired up though, if the line isn't going to go live until Friday.
Pieter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took the plunge today, on the basis that the Catterline telephone exchange will actually be ADSL broadband enabled soon... At the moment our household has BT's Home Highway product from the Newtonhill telephone exchange. I believe there are a few others in the village who are in the same boat, so I'll go into a bit more detail here, explaining what you need to do if you want ADSL broadband in Catterline.

As some of you might know, the BT Home Highway product is not suitable for broadband and, secondly, the Newtonhill exchange is too far away to support broadband in Catterline. So, you need to move back to a standard analogue telephone line from the Catterline exchange first, and hopefully get broadband activated on that line soon after, fingers crossed. A side-effect is that your telephone number will change! As it happens, we don't have a problem with that at all because we are getting so many nuisance calls lately!

Although most Internet Server Providers (ISPs) offer to manage the Home Highway conversion for you when you order broadband, this is only true when you stay on the same exchange. We will be moving from the Newtonhill exchange to the Catterline exchange, so I had to contact BT to get this conversion done. BT charge a one-off fee of 50 to do this and, although I ordered the conversion today (11 August), a BT engineer will not be available until Friday 2 September, so be warned.

Once the conversion is complete I will get in touch with an ISP to order a broadband package, as per Steve's excellent article here.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Broadband has landed!!! Reply with quote

Get in!

I've just got my broadband connection up and running - hurrah!
Pieter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

For all those lucky Catterliners out there who have had their ADSL connection activated, I would be interested to see some results from this speedtest. Please also state the name of your ISP and package, for example 'Eclipse Flex Home 2000'.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: the need for speed Reply with quote

Just got the following, which is a bit slower than it was when I did it yesterday, but still not at all bad.

Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
Downstream 1834 Kbps (229.3 KB/sec) 1980 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Eclipse Home Broadband (5GB) + TalkMore
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on!

Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 1743 Kbps (217.9 KB/sec) 1882 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 262 Kbps (inc. overheads)

BT Broadband 2MB
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

Fantastic, isn't it?
Chrisroj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Talktime question Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

I've just ordered my broadband from eclipse (your referral!). Very Happy
I didn't order a router (I could upgrade later).

How long did they take to set you up?

I also orderered the talktime package (Home Broadband (5Gb) + Talkmore) - I presume Eclipse do all the interface with BT?. Confused

Do BT still bill me for the daytime calls and line rental? Confused

I should have asked these questions before signing on the dotted line, but I am desperate to get a web connection from home that is faster than paint drying!

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: