FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

Community Compost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Community Compost Reply with quote

Morning!
A group called Aberdeen Forward have been promoting their Community Compost and have been looking for volunteers. Unfortunately, Catterline isn't on their list of places to implement such a scheme this year so I wrote to them and asked them what it involves. If we can drum up enough interest they may include us in their plans for 2008.
How it works is the local community find a suitable site to compost on and work with Aberdeen Forward to manage the composting workload. The site would need to be 20 m x 10m or there abouts.
They have a collection vehicle which would collect the compostable materials fortnightly.
It needs commitment from at least 50 local residents who would sign up for the scheme which currently costs £6 per year membership.
Volunteers would be needed to keep an eye on the site, help with workload of running the compost operation (helping to build the site, processing , turning compost etc.) They said, if you get a core group of 8 willing folk who donít mind getting muddy and wielding a fork, that usually suffices with 2 folk doing one weekend a month.
Would the committee consider this? It would be nice to give people somewhere to dump their garden waste rather than over the burn which a lot of people currently do.
Of course if the committee has the know-how to do something like this without the assistance of Aberdeen Forward then great.

Someone is going to tell me there's already a scheme in place, aren't they? Shocked
noelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a huge area they are needing us to find! Did you have anywhere in mind?

There are compost bins in the community garden (which is behind the school, next to Ceri's house) but there's probably not enough capacity there for the whole village. Perhaps that is something that we could work on though..as the school are working towards an eco award and are looking at encouraging composting. Perhaps we need to discuss this over wine....ahh!
stumpy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 10x20m was a huge area and if the compost heap was that big it would be quite an eye-sore and not very popular at all.
If I can extract more info from these people or maybe see one they've constructed earlier (in true Blue Peter style) I'll let you know.

Fancy a glass of wine anyway?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: