FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

Grampian Cartie Championship?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> Cartie Challenge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Grampian Cartie Championship? Reply with quote

Using the results from the Catterline, Stonehaven and Monymusk cartie races and the points system used in F1, I've worked out the overall placings;

1 : Once a fortnight is plenty (30)
2 : Tequila Slammer (13)
3 : Elijah (11)
4 : Urie Blue (8)
4 : Auld Alliance (8)
4 : ASEP APES (8)
7 : The Lincolnshire Yellow Bellies (6)
8 : All Black Edjits (5)
8 : Old Speckled Den (5)
10 : The Bandit (4)
10 : 4 Muskateers (4)
12 : The Dragster (3)
13 : Maniac 1 (2)
13 : Cool Runnings (2)
15 : Dunnydeer Flyers (1)
15 : The Lemming (1)

I think we'll organise a proper championship next year - it'd add to the fun and would also help all the cartie races (plus any others that might start up) by expanding the pool of teams, expertise, experience and equipment.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - things seem to be taking off a little. The organisers of the Belchford Downhill and G-Team Gravity Racing have been in touch to see if we are interested in getting involved with them and a couple of other cartie races in a national series.

The idea is to create a harmonised set of rules for a new "National Championship" class of cartie. We would then include a class for vehicles complying with these rules in the Cartie Challenge.

Competitors in the National class would have the opportunity to run their carts without modification at a series of events, and each event running a class for such carts would attract more interest and more entries as a result. Competitors running in the National class would score points at each event (based on aggregate time - our "constructors trophy" - to count towards an annual National Champion prize or trophy.

What this boils down to for us is a rather more detailed set of construction rules on top of what we have at present. This doesn't necessarily affect what we do already as the proposed rules are already compatible with ours in that any cartie that meets the National standard will pass our existing construction rules (although the opposite will not necessarily be the case).

In summary, the proposed National class rules are;

Quote:
Maximum length 2300mm
Maximum width 1100mm
Minimum track width 900mm
Maximum track width 1100mm
Minimum wheelbase 1300mm
Minimum wheel diameter 200mm
Maximum wheel diameter 650mm
Minimum tyre width 35mm
Maximum weight of vehicle and driver 150kg
Minimum height of driver's eyeline 700mm

At least 4 wheels
At least 2 axles

Brakes to hold 50Kg (same as at Catterline), and must have at least two independently operated brakes.

Roll bars over driver's head and drivers hands
4 point seatbelt

So - what do you all think? Is this a direction you'd like to go? I think the priority is to preserve the character and feel of the Cartie Challenge, but I think it ought to be possible to do that and incorporate a national class competition at the same time. I think its a great idea in principle, but I can see a few problems, not least of which is that the requirements are quite a big hurdle. They're a big step up from what we've got at the moment, and I can't think of any machines around here that would make the standard. Of course, that doesn't really matter, as we can still run the Cartie Challenge exactly the same way, but have a "national class" competition as well if anyone wants to enter it.

Would any of you be interested in building and running a "national class" cartie, and perhaps competing in other national events? How would you feel about having maybe half a dozen "works teams", such as Honda and Vauxhall, taking part alongside us at Catterline?
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: cartie drivers needed Reply with quote

As you'll have read on the front page, the Catterline Cartie Challenge is one ot the 14 events on the provisional calendar of National Soapbox Championship events. Some of us (Duncan, Bernie and me) have been talking about buildng a National class cartie, but none of us can commit to travelling to any of the other National events.

If we build a National Class cartie, would anyone like to take it down to one or more of the other National events?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> Cartie Challenge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: