FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

Heating Oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pieter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Heating Oil Reply with quote

I'm sure everybody has felt the increase in heating oil prices in their pockets (less money to spend on real ale in the Creel!). A while ago I subscribed to an initiative which enables bulk buying, and thus slightly lower prices. Please have a look at http://www.boilerjuice.com and https://www.boilerjuice.com/groupBuying.php. I think the idea to form a local bulk buying group for a village like Catterline could work in everybody's favour. My tank is getting rather empty, and I will need to think about filling it up soon. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Pieter
tommo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: boiler juice Reply with quote

looks like a decent idea id it would save 5p a litre - does everyone have to get it all at the same time though ? .e. would the members of the group have to top up the first time so that everyone had a full tank and could all be sort of in sync thereafter ?
Marc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Heating Oil Reply with quote

Pieter,

Great idea. We'll be needing to fill up in a few weeks time.

Marc
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me. How many do we need to make it worthwhile? Would four of us be enough?

I'll try to remember to check our tank when I get home.
Pieter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll collect some detailed info over the weekend and then we can see whether we should give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'd also be interested in joining in. I'll check the levle in the tank and see when we're next likely to need a fill up.

Duncan Talbert
Pieter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks, here's some related info from the Boilerjuice website:

Quote:
How does it work?

It couldn't be simpler. You add everybody's volume together to get a total volume and that's the amount the quote is based on. If you can get 3-4 oil users together savings can be in the region of 2p per litre or more. With even more oil users, savings can be up to 5p a litre based on the total quantity.

When we order, what happens?

Each group member will be contacted individually by the supplier to arrange payment and delivery; you do not pay BoilerJuice or have to collect payment from your group members. Please note group orders are processed and sent to the supplier immediately - they are not queued and grouped with other orders and are not included within the Buying weekend offer.

What next?

If you haven't done so already, you need to add the details of your group members to your group. Then, to get a group quote and place an order, simply fill in the required details following carefully the onscreen instructions and start saving money today.

Or alternatively...

Simply ask your neighbours in your postcode area (e.g. AB39) to order their oil through BoilerJuice on the same day as you and we will automatically group them to secure a lower price for you all.

So, to answer Stephen's question, it looks like four people are enough. I registered a while ago, and from my user profile I can see there are already 26 other members in the AB39 area, I just don't know who they are... If we are going to set up a local user group, then somebody needs to be the local co-ordinator. As stated above, that person would get the quote for the total volume required. If we then decide to go ahead it's everbody for themselves again in terms of payment and arranging delivery. We obviously don't need to form a group, if we can coordinate to order on the same day anyway. That's where the 'Boilerjuice Buying Weekends' come in:

Quote:
BoilerJuice Buying Weekends help members to synchronise their heating oil orders so that we can all make greater bulk-buy savings. The next Buying Weekend starts at midday on Friday 1 September 2006.

Buying Weekends take place on the first weekend of each calendar month - starting at midday on the Friday and ending at midnight on the Sunday.

We send a notification email to all members on the Monday prior to each Buying Weekend. An additional reminder email is then sent when the buying weekend starts at midday on the Friday.

To order, simply follow the link in your reminder email, or on your BoilerJuice members control panel. You will be given a quote first, and then you simply confirm your details to complete the process.

At the close of the Buying Weekend all the orders from your postcode area are totalled up. If the overall volume is greater than the minimum grouping volume (currently 2400 litres) then the orders will be grouped together to obtain a cheaper price for you. If a cheaper price is not available you can place your order anyway at the price you were originally quoted, or you can choose to cancel the order - so you have nothing to lose!

If there are a few of us needing heating oil soon, I suggest we give the next buying weekend a go (1st of September). How does that sound? I would probably need ~1500 litres, and the oil price is on its way down (for the moment at least...).

Last but not least, if you don't mind me recommending you to Boilerjuice, could you please PM me your e-mail address? When I recommend 5 people, I get a free bottle of their PD3 Fuel Conditioner. I normally don't rate fuel additives that much, but if it's free I'll give it a shot!
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buying weekend sounds like the way to go, if we can get it coordinated. I only need about half a tank, which is about 500 litres. I'll PM my email address in a moment.
Pieter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little reminder to let you know that it's the BoilerJuice Buying Weekend starting midday tomorrow (Friday) and ending midnight on Sunday. Please have a look at my previous post for the details. I'm going to order 1400 litres, and Stephen thinks he needs about 500 litres, so we only need another 501 litres in the AB39 area to start benefiting from a group discount!
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in for 500l, but there weren't enough orders to get the group discount. Sad
Pieter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I got the same message Sad .

I've now ordered a full tank from Commercial Oils this morning, which should hopefully last us until Feb/March.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: PD3 Fuel Conditioner Reply with quote

Pieter wrote:

Last but not least, if you don't mind me recommending you to Boilerjuice, could you please PM me your e-mail address? When I recommend 5 people, I get a free bottle of their PD3 Fuel Conditioner. I normally don't rate fuel additives that much, but if it's free I'll give it a shot!

Hey Pieter - did you ever try that fuel conditioner? I found an interesting discussion about it here.

According to the Material Safety Data Sheet, it's "aqueous based", non toxic to aquatic organisms, non-combustible, 1SG density, boils at 100 degC, pH 5.5-7.5.

Sound familiar?
Pieter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, never tried it in the end.

Interesting thread indeed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: