FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

St John's Hill Wind Farm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you in favour of the proposed wind farm at St John's Hill, chapel of Barras?
In favour
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Not in favour
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Dont care
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

alibali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: YIPPEE! NO WINDFARM! A VICTORY FOR DECENCY OVER GREED. Reply with quote

So the windfarm is not to be, and all those developers and investors who thought they could blight the lives of those living in the vicinty of these windmills for their own financial profit have been left with a bloody nose. I couldn't be happier.
I am all for wind power generation - but it has to be in the right place! St John's Hill was never the right place.
It is immoral, deceitful and dishonest to use arguments that we have to have windmills in Kineff in order to save the planet. There are plenty other places where windmills can go that doesn't ruin lives (e.g offshore). And make no mistake, people's lives would have been ruined when the value of their properties fell from e.g £100,000 to zero overnight, their TV picture was ruined and their peace of mind shattered by having these noisy monstrosities on their doorstep.
Well done indeed to all the councillors who stood strong in the face of those who tried to win the argument with emotional blackmail and name calling such as NIMBYEs (not in my back yard) and accusations that those against the development were somehow backward looking and lacked intelligence. Thankfully they saw though all this hogwash, and recognised the needs of those who would have had to live with the consequences of this development.
Yippee! Yippee! Yippee!
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back alibali. I can tell you're quite happy, but I imagine there are as many disappointed people around too.

As you know I was in favour of the scheme, and I still am. Renewable energy projects will increase over the next decade, and it seemed to me to be a good use of the land. It would have brought a steady income stream for some local farmers and help out a local industry that has had a difficult time of late. I like to see money being generated and spent close to home, and I like to see new money being brought into the area. Unlike you I didn't see anything sinister in the plan, and had no reason to doubt the good faith of the developers or their demonstrated commitment to the community. It seems that the vast majority of those writing in about the scheme agreed with me, and the local planning department said it met both local and national guidelines (subject to several conditions, including one to specifically address TV reception quality).

The area committee have agreed with you and rejected it, and I've no problem with that as it's how local democracy works. I'm not closely involved so I may be wrong, but as I understand it the decision to reject was based mainly on the visual impact and the effect on the Grassic Gibbon center. Those were about the only objections I could find that held any water, but they are objective assessments and could really go either way. Your "noisy monstrosity" is my "graceful whispering giant".

Ah well - that's life. You win some, you lose some...

Still - there is one thing we agree on; "name calling" and "emotional blackmail" have no place in this discussion (although, having just accused the developers of being "immoral, deceitful and dishonest", you wouldn't appear to be in the strongest of positions to be lecturing people about that...Wink).

I was speaking to someone about this about 18 months ago and he made a very good point - regardless of whether the windfarm gets built or not we all have to continue to live and get on together as a community. That is the most important thing to remember, so let's try and keep the debate a little more reasoned, shall we? There's no point falling out over this, now is there.

But anyway - lets move the discussion on a bit (while keeping in mind the "no name calling, no emotional blackmail, no kicking, no gouging and no scratching" rules) - what do you think of the two recent applications for windfarms at Clochnahill and Hillhead of Auquhirie? Are they in the right place? What would be your criteria for deciding which locations are right and which are not? Do you have an opinion on Aberdeenshire's strategy for handling renewable energy developments?
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen makes a good point here about the need to live together and get on with each other as a community. As the developers of St Johnís Hill lick their wounds and consider their position regarding appeal, Iíd like to ask them to take this issue into special consideration.

The whole wind farm planning application has been very well considered by the community over a period of nearly two years, and I suggest that everyone has had their say and their fair share of the debate. Whilst the discussion has at times been acrimonious, generally speaking sense and reason has prevailed, and fair play has been observed. As a result, the community is in good shape and relations are reasonable.

It is clear that a significant number of people in the community do not want to see the proposal go ahead because of the downsides that it would entail, and the Area Committee decision accurately reflects that situation.

So before they race off to appeal to the Scottish Executive, I think the developers should consider what such an action might do to the community. I suggest that an upward appeal which would be out of the control of local government and geared to exploit the wider political objectives of the Scottish Executive would be seen as a particularly cynical attempt to drive through an unpopular development. If the community perceived that their concerns were about to be trumped by national considerations and political correctness, reaction within the community might not be quite so balanced.

The planning process may be flawed, but it has at least fully considered the issues and has delivered a clear result which addresses local concerns. Lets all respect that outcome and not be tempted to try to quash those local concerns using the dead hand of an SE planning appeal.
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise I'm a bit late in commenting on this topic but, you see, I only got my access to the forum yesterday and perhaps I am getting a little carried away...?
First, people should just waste less, yes, yes it's the big corporations blah blah but wasting less is good AND it might go some way to making fossils fuels last a little longer (and bring the price down);
Next, windfarms aren't known for their efficiency and you certainly can't do away with power stations just because you erect a windmill so the sooner windmill erectors become a bit more honest about this the better.
My thoughts on this (with a slight cynical twist?):
Where there's a windmill, there's not a Gordon Brown housing estate. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: