FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

AUSTRALIAN DESCENDENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: AUSTRALIAN DESCENDENT Reply with quote

Hello members,
My husband and I are from Australia.
We have recently discovered that my husband's g-g-g-grandfather was William Stephens, Innkeeper of the Creel Inn, 1841.
Along with a newly discovered cousin, we will be visiting and staying in the area around March 13-15. Off course we intend to have a meal and raise a few pints at the Creel Inn.
I am enquiring if anyone here knows of or has any pictures/photos or references to William Stephens, the Inn and the local area around the time 1841 that we could view, copy or purchase while we are here.
This is rather exciting for us as until recently my husband had no knowledge of his Scottish background.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Kerry.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry,

I presume you've found this page on the Creel Inn web site, which shows William Stephen as the owner of the Creel Inn from 1841 to 1894. I don't know of any pictures of it from that time, but somebody may have some.

You may find some of your family grave stones in St Philips, just up the road from the village, as Stephen is one of the most common surnames there.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland and the Creel. There are plenty of fine beers there for you to sample! Smile
Kerry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your help Stephen.
I did know of the site for the Creel Inn.
The link for St. Phillips is very helpful and looks promising.
The mind boggles at the number of descendents we may be related to, surnames on the family tree include Stephen, Gove, Watts, Alexander.
Just goes to show, you have to be nice to everyone - they may be a relative. Laughing
Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: