FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum RSS Feed Forum RSS Feed

I'm doing a college project on catterline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveofficer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: I'm doing a college project on catterline Reply with quote

hullo there, my name's David Officer and i grew up in catterline before we moved back to stoney a few years ago. we used to stay in Trelong Row when it was first built. anyway i'm at College studying an HND in professional photography and one of my subjects is a location project. i've been given the goahead from my lecturer to do a photographic study of catterline as it's a location i know well and there's a rich variety of shots to be had.

most of it i can do on my own but i thought i'd let you lot know about it and see if there's anyone who has any ideas which might be helpful.

coupla questions for you as well. who owns the watchhouse these days? i have a distant memory of it being left to the community after lil died but i'm not sure if that was true or not. is it possible to take pictures in and around it?

when's the gala?

are there any other events between now and june?

when's the next arts festival?

there's lots of places i went as a kid but now i've grown up i'm not sure if access is as easy as it was(or upon reflection we may not have been allowed in those places in the first place). is it easy enough to get to the woods and burn behind the church and those houses there still? what about the path behind the water authority thing(at the turn off for south row, the beach and the farm)?

are there seals there just now?

i think that's it just now, if i have any other questions i'll pop back on here. should start shooting in the next couple of weeks so if you see me lugging a big camera and tripod round the village come say hi. i have no idea who still lives in the village from when we lived there, it seems so long ago now. the only person i still see from time to time is angus munro but i think he lives in aberdeen now too unless i'm mistaken.

thanks a lot

david officer
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

The Gala is on 10th June and the Cartie Challenge is on the 11th - lots of things to photograph then, and if you'd like to volunteer as a photographer for the carties you'd be more than welcome. There aren't any other events that I can think of before then, and I'm afraid the next Arts Festival won't be held until 2007.

Catterline burn is accessible provided you don't mind a bit of a clamber, but I'm sure you'll remember all about that. There are a couple of houses behind the church that might not have been there in your time, so you might find it easier to go up through Cloak caravan park.

Angus's mum still stays in the village, and I'm sure you'll recognise plenty of folk around the place.

Good luck with your project.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent stuff. the gala and the cartie challenge should be a good end to the project(our year ends in the first week of july).

i think i'll come down and do a quick tour of the village at the weekend just to see if i can still find the good spots.

i'll keep you all posted on how the projects going. as part of the brief includes a final production(exhibition, powerpoint show, leaflet etc) i've decided to try building a website to display the pics so i'll post the link once that's up.
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds cool. I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. If you like your more than welcome to post a few pics on our picture gallery.
daveofficer

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a wee selection of the photo's i've taken so far up on my myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/kadoom

those were ones i did as prep for the project so there'll be more once i get the proper ones scanned in.
tommo

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David you can get access to the Watchie through Anne and Martyn Steed who live on South Row (if you dont remember them). I think Lil left it to them rather than the village. I'm sure they wouldnt have a problem with you using the garden area or even getting inside if you needed that. Give them a buzz on 369

With regards the gala if you are interested in people shots as well as the general landscape and artisitic piece I would recommend the whole weekend - as well as the gala the cartie race on Sunday will have big crowds and lots of action and a new event on the Friday 9th evening is the village talent show in the Marquee which will have more fun shots.

Check the website entry for gala for all the info.

P.S. there's no truth in the rumour that Angus got hounded out of the village for getting those ridiculous "hole in your ear" earrings....
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Angus is back!!! Reply with quote

Angus will be returning to take up his usual position behind the bar in the very near future! Hurrah!!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think i can make the cartie challenge, alas i have to work on the sunday. i'll try and make the talent show though Smile

i have spoken with ann about the watchie, i just need to work out a suitable time to go up. so much to do and so little time.

incidentally, are the seals back yet? i keep coming down to take pictures of them but the little swines are never around.

what's the best night for coming down to take pictures in the bar? or would you all be too shy/drunk? Smile
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday or Saturday is usually best - sort of 10.30 ish.
daveofficer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i can't make it to the talent show as unfortunately my fiance's car dramatically failed a last minute fitness test, probably a metatarsel or something.

i will be at the gala tomorrow though, it might be worth putting the word around that i'm going to be taking photo's and that i'm not dodgy so people don't get worried about me taking pictures of them. it's an unfortunate reflection of society today that people are suspicious of photographers round children(fair enough though) and while i'm not going to take any pictures of children without asking permission of the parents first it'd be nice if they were aware of me beforehand.

thanks a lot

dave
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a problem dave. come and find me when you get there. s.
daveofficer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the college end of year exhibition opens to the public on wednesday from 10 till 9 on the wednesday and thursday and 10 till 3 on the friday. if anyones in town with nothing to do feel free to pop down to the gallowgate centre and check it out. the photography show will be in the common room at the loch street entrance and will feature about 4 catterline photos. Smile
daveofficer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: website Reply with quote

ok so i finally got my website up and running. there's a few tweaks need to be made but the catterline page seems to be running fine just now:

http://www.musicaldifferences.co.uk/davidofficer/catterline/catterline.html

i think i'll keep the project open as it gives me a fine excuse to keep visiting the village.

any feedback is gratefully received, even bad feedback Smile
stephen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: bookends Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks for showing us your pics. I really like the one of the bookend divers.

S
BikeOnBye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the photos Dave Cool

BoB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catterline Online Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: